Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

Fanfiction

Recently, I started playing Final Fantasy (FF XIII, if you must know). And this morning, I was debating painting a scene from it. Fanart in it's purest form. I always paint things I like.

I also debated writing some fanfiction of it. People who know me well know I'm not a fanfiction kind of person. I wrote one or two pieces a couple of years ago, and I read a piece or so when specifically asked to. So I think the desire to write fanfiction surprised me.

It's funny how these kind of things pan out. Until about eighteen months ago, I wasn't aware any browser but Internet Explorer existed (still use IE), while many other people stopped using IE the second they were able to. While some write nothing but fanfiction and that's all they've done for ages, I just can't write it at times. Like, I sit down and I'm just embarrased to write.

Fanfiction is something I've only recently heard of, so I probably just need more footing in it. Yet it seems to be gaining more ground, but I don't know whether that's always been the case. By "more ground" I mean the Fifty Shades series being a Twilight fanfiction, and major similarities (bordering on plagarism, I'd say) between Carrier of the Mark (Leigh Farron) and Twilight.

I asked, is fanfiction going to become popular enough for it to be published in the mainstream? I already know of a Panic! At the Disco fanfiction (The Heart Rate of a Mouse) that's over 300,000 words, I think as far as twice that length. You can actually buy copies of it off the internet. Of course, it's self-published. But if you think through fandoms, if you belong to one, there's always "that fanfic". Sometimes it's just a one-shot, or it's very short, and others it's as long as THRoaM. How many of them could be available to get online in time?

Fanfiction is the way into writing for some writers. All I'm thinking is, it could be a way into reading for some readers.

And as for that fanart, I decided with a scene from Palumpolum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment