Pages

Friday 25 May 2012

8 - 12 Age Range

This was going to be another angry week. But then I had ice cream and I started hallucinating about unicorns or something so I'm going to talk about my History GCSE.

Well, not specifically my History GCSE, but that topic shall come up. Right now, in fact. In the GCSE course my school runs (and so, I take) a topic about Medicine through Time. For the past year, I have had to suffer my mixed-ability class ("Miss, I know you've been teaching us this for the past six weeks, but can you repeat everything because I have the memory of a goldfish?" ¬_¬), as we learnt about Galen etc.

I have also started watching Horrible Histories, because at heart I am five years old. Recently, I've discovered as I plough through the series, it is pretty much teaching me my course. Yes, I am only scraping by in History because I watch a show for eight to twelve-year olds.

It's shown on the CBBC channel, which was roughly my life until I was about... eleven. I would spend hours watching The Story of Tracy Beaker, Young Dracula and Blue Peter, to the point where I was banned from watching TSoTB because "my attitude was suffering". Now, they show CBBC on BBC One until 5;15, but back when I was younger and had only four channels on my telly it wasn't, and I watched The Weakest Link instead.

What brought on my little trip into my past? Recently, in the paper, they announced the removal of various programmes from CBBC while it aired on the BBC One channel. This includes Blue Peter.

Not Blue Peter! The glorious show that most people under the age of fifty have spent a childhood watching Blue Peter. And I'm fairly sure that because it's on BBC One many adults still watch it too. By moving it solely to CBBC, the chance is it'll lose many of it's viewers. Why? I'm going to answer this in the form of something I once yelled at one of their continuity presenters.

"Why are you here, and not on the CBBC channel?!"
"BECAUSE I AM NOT BETWEEN THE RECOMMENDED EIGHT TO TWELVE AGE RANGE!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment