Pages

Friday 9 March 2012

Personal Injury Claims

This morning, I discovered that I would be allowed to go on a school trip. Nothing much interesting in itself, although it's actually intended for students about a year older than me. A main concern was that because all the health and safety forms had been filled in for "older" students, the insurance wouldn't cover GCSE-age ones. And there's my buzzword. Health and Safety.
 
After the recent cold snap, half my school was cornered off with "exposed electrical wire" tape (well, it was bright yellow...), so nobody would slip on the ice. This meant that anyone who would have normally gone around there was forced to go through the corridors. And trying to get over one thousand students through the tiniest piece of corridor in a five minute time frame... let's just say it isn't pretty. Here's a better idea: Salt the heck out of the "dangerous" areas, instead of throwing kids in isolation set them to digging up the ice, and get the whole thing clear within a day or so. However, you should never apply logic when it comes to my school.
 
Years ago, many, many years ago, I was wearing Heeleys (wheels in heels, heels with wheels). Being about nine years old, I was wheeling along, clinging onto my mother's arm when we got stopped by a bloke. Apparently, I wasn't allowed to wheel along because of "health and safety reasons". Of course, my mother ignored him and we carried on as normal.
 
My mother then recently was involved in a minor car accident. And by minor I mean minor - her car was shunted from behind hard enough to leave a scuff. The offending car's owner immediately ran out of his car, scared to death of having a personal injury claim placed against him.
Why? She didn't have whiplash, why should she claim on it?
 
Adverts all the time say that we should claim on the broken arm we recieved last week and so on. Sure, you may get a payout now for the whiplash you don't really suffer from, but it'll only cause a letter to come through your door announcing a rise in car insurance. Risk assessments and "health and safety reasons" are becoming more about eliminating risks than managing it. If this continues on in this fashion, it may become harder for students to cheekily go on trips that are offered to older years. But then, do I really care about younger years?

0 comments:

Post a Comment