Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

A Letter to a Train Ticket

The fortnight in a list:
- We didn't get a white Christmas
- We got a wet Christmas
- And a wet Christmas Eve
- And a wet Boxing Day
- And a wet New Year's Eve
- And a wet New Year's Day
- Do you sense a theme here.
- A horrific car crash kills two kids on the motorway
- 2013 happens.

I would do the year in news but A) I can't remember and B) Charlie Brooker does it so much better in Charlie Brooker's 2012 Wipe (Brits - look it up on iPlayer. Rest of the World - go find a streaming link or something)

Before I start my post properly, I'd just like to say that I discovered "Google Stats". Now, because I still use Internet Explorer (and also because Blogger is the most user-unfriendly site ever) I don't venture to the Blogger site often, and I email my posts through to noiwouldnotlikesometea. However about a week ago, I decided to log in just to check that everything was hunky-dory. This was when I found the "Google Stats" thingy. It tells me how many page views I get, when and where. I discovered with this that I get a lot (and I mean a lot) of views from Russia. How exactly did this happen? Most of my babbling is either barely making sense or vaguely political, and I can't help but wonder why exactly it is so appealing. Please, put me out of my misery. Even this week, I have 8 page views from Russia, and only one from the UK (and that was most likely me in the last few minutes). If you happen to live in Russia, tell me why you read my blog.

Onto the second little bit before I start my post properly, this is just a little bit of background. I came back from Wales the other day, on the train (first class!). On one of the three trains I would take that day, I happened to slouch in my chair and notice, underneath the table and in the chair opposite was a train ticket. I'm a bit weird and like to collect train tickets, so I picked it up. Then, being the wax-lyrical person I am, I started to think of the person who bought the ticket. It wasn't a ticket per se, just a receipt announcing somebody had bought tickets. This fortnight, I've decided to write a letter to this unknown person.

Dear Ticketholder,

I notice you do not pay much attention to your accounts, otherwise you would've taken this ticket receipt. Maybe it was just an accident, and you're now sat at home worrying. I highly doubt this, your ticket cost £2.

Where can you go for £2? I was sat in the first class section, so you must have been too. Where can you go, first class, for £2? You bought with a Visa card, and few under-16's wander around with a card as the only source of money, so I can only assume you're an adult. You must've only gone one or two stops. Was it a journey to work? I wouldn't suppose it would be, otherwise you would probably by a season ticket. Just a day out shopping, perhaps? Or did you go to visit a friend?

What's funny is the fact you bought this ticket on the 30th December at 19;41. I traveled up to Wales on the 30th, and I would have been travelling at the same time as you. This is what always astounds me about the world. How we can all go about our own lives without any direct contact with one another. There are many things that we have in common: We both took a train at that time, we both held a ticket for the train, we both travelled on First Great Western service. And yet we possibly have many things that are different, if only we knew each other.

I think of all the places you could be going, and then I realise all I wish is that you got there in the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment