Pages

Friday 10 February 2012

YouTube

Now, I was going to talk about the snow, and having lots of it. Talk about Britain, and it's reliably bad coping of the weather. And also talk about living in the South East, and bearing the original large batch of snow. But I won't, because that's boring. Google "Britain snow blog" and you'll inevitably come up with some complaint or another. So I'll mention vlogging instead.
 
Vlogging is a strange thing. I've found it's more a teenager/uni student phenomenon, and if you allow ads before your video, it makes sense. Sure, you won't make thousands unless you go viral, but a couple of hundred views on three videos might get you a few pounds (don't ask me for exact figures). If I allowed ads on my blog and I had certain keywords, I could make a living off of this. Of course, that'd probably mean daily posts.
 
So back to vlogging. For those out of the loop, vlogging is video blogging. You sit in front of a camera and talk, or complain. Mostly the latter. Occasionally they'll talk about the world around them, but it's mostly about them. Blogging in any format generally doesn't include "the world" but instead "_____'s world" and the world begins to revolve around them. Hey, I'm not sitting in a large chair on a high mountain laughing at these people. I'm fairly sure I'm like that too.
 
I said vlogging is a strange thing, and it expands out to the entire internet. My Chemistry class, for example. I wouldn't dream of telling them that I have such an addiction to tea that I don't feel I can go abroad. However, I told you this last December. In vlogging, blogging, internetting (Is that a word? It is now.), we all share things, sometimes deeply personal things, that we'd never think of telling a stranger in person.
 
It's easy to forget that we're talking to strangers. In vlogging, when people film a video they're talking for 6-7 minutes, sometimes longer, about their lives. You, as a viewer, are actually sitting there and listening to these people witter on about their financial lives, or their sex lives, or their social lives or just lives in general. In your local pub, how many times have you sat next to someone and willingly listened to them talking about them having a cold for over five minutes? Probably none (And if you have then you must have incredibly social skills and I would like advice within the next thirty seconds cheers). How many times have you watched this on YouTube? I have. Twice.
 
A friend of mine tried vlogging and found it so strange she never did it again. Another does it regularly. And a third has created a joint YouTube account with me and we're going to make this work. We've already posted a video, not a vlog, mind. But we will, eventually.
And yes, we are both teenagers. Predictably.

0 comments:

Post a Comment