Pages

Friday 7 October 2011

Wales

As when I go to university most of the ones in the UK will be £9k a year, I was thinking of going abroad. More accurately, Holland. The Maastricht university is an international school, and so teaches in English. Bonus, it's only £1,500 a year right now, dependent on the euro/pound exchange rate. I mentioned this to my father, who despite being from Henley-on-Thames is one of those irritating militant Welsh, and he said to me "It's free in Wales. Remember you have a Welsh birth certificate"
Now, I'm sure Wales has been bashed with a stick until it is less than dust, but I'll give it another fair whack. What exactly is it that I would study? Agriculture? History of sheep? Here's a well-known fact for you - for every one person in Wales, there are three sheep. Wales is dull. Wales is hilly. Wales is empty. Wales is full of sheep. It also has a pretty much defunct language. And I'm not surprised. Would you particuarly want to learn a language in which vowels are f,y and g?
Welsh is an irritating thing we could live without, frankly. Welsh causes town names such as Rhosllannerchrugog. To be a teacher, politician or anything really, you have to know fluent Welsh. To know fluent Welsh, you should live among Welsh-only-speaking people and preferably your parents speak it too. This reaches out to a good, ooh, three people? If you want to live among Welsh-only-speaking people, you'd have to live in Mid Wales. Wales has two motorways, the M4 and M5. Both are in South Wales. Even Northern Ireland has more. Mid Wales is just a large expanse of... nothing. It's windy, rainy and everybody speaks Welsh, which of course nobody understands.
A friend of mine recently went to Aberystwyth, came back and told me that she went to a restuarant that had the menu available in Welsh. She asked the waitresses if any of them understood the menu. They all said no.
Don't get me wrong, I love Wales, rolling hills and... well, all the sheep. We can just do without Welsh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment